There are many other opportunities for young people to get involved with Habitat NOVA. Your excitement and creativity is exactly what we need to involve more people, build more houses, raise more money and welcome more families into our community!
We seek to provide everyone with a volunteer experience that is both meaningful and fun! Please read below for some ideas of how you can help us fulfill our mission of increasing the amount of decent, affordable housing available for lower-income families.
Raise Money for Habitat NOVA
- Hold a bake sale
- Nickel for Nails Campaign: design change collection jars and collect money for building supplies
- Books Build Homes: pledge to read a set number of books or pages during a time frame and ask friends, families and neighbors to sponsor you
- Hold a car wash
- Create your own fundraiser (just let a Habitat NOVA staff member know first!)
Spread the Word
- Design a bulletin board in your school or church about the need for affordable housing in your community and Habitat NOVA’s work
- Speak to your classmates, friends, family and neighbors about the mission of Habitat NOVA
- Follow us on social media to share our news and fundraising event notices with your friends and family.
- If you are 16 years or older, volunteer on one of our build sites! Construction volunteers must be at least 16 years old. Volunteers on the construction site help to do many different parts of the construction process including framing, drywall, caulking, puttying, painting, installing vinyl tile and trim work, repairing fences, and helping to build handicap ramps.
- Volunteer at one of our ReStores! The ReStore takes donations of new, used and surplus building supplies, appliances and other home improvement items for resale at 50-90% below retail prices. The proceeds benefit Habitat NOVA. Volunteers work with ReStore staff collecting and receiving donated materials, pricing and stocking items on the store floor, cleaning and organizing the store and assisting customers in the store. Volunteers for the ReStore must be 12 years old or older. Volunteers ages 12-15 must be accompanied by an adult and have a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. Volunteers ages 16 or 17 must have a waiver signed by a parent or guardian but may volunteer on their own.
For additional information, please contact Liz Salter, Volunteer and Events Coordinator, at 703-521-9890 x114!