Building a home alongside other volunteers and partner families is rewarding and a great way to get to know your community! Volunteers participate in construction on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and occasionally on Fridays, on sites such as the Clayborne Avenue homes in Fairfax County. No construction experience is necessary, we’re here to help! We have a site supervisor on each construction site that will give you instructions and help you get started. Site leaders will always be available to answer any questions and provide you with support throughout the day.
Construction Volunteer Policies:
- Volunteers ages 16 and older are welcome on our construction sites!
- All volunteers must complete our Volunteer Waiver form. Download the form here.
- Volunteers ages 18 and under must also have a Parent/Guardian signature on their waiver form.
- Community Service hours are available as a Construction Volunteer.
Construction Volunteer Facts:
- Build days begin at 9 a.m. and typically wrap up around 3:30 p.m.
- All volunteers must be present for the orientation and safety briefing that begins at 9 a.m.
- Habitat provides water. Volunteers are asked to bring a packed lunch.
The last Saturday of each month is designated as our Community Build Day. This is an opportunity for any individual to come out and volunteer. Spots are filled on a first come, first serve basis. If you would like to be notified about upcoming or last-minute Community Day opportunities, please sign up for our volunteer opportunity email!
Community groups, faith groups, corporate groups and individuals can sponsor a build day and volunteer with groups of 10 to 20 people.
Faith and community groups, please email Cassidy Weitman, Programs Coordinator:
Corporate and civic groups, please email Peter Larson, Development and Campaign Manager:
Women Build Week
Women Build is a Habitat for Humanity program which encourages women to volunteer on their local affiliate’s construction sites! The event is typically held the week leading up to Mother’s Day. These dates are significant to many volunteers, as families with children make up a staggering number of those in need of adequate housing. Habitat NOVA held two volunteer construction days during National Women Build Week. Click here for more information.