Building a home alongside other volunteers and partner families is rewarding and a great way to get to know your community! Volunteers participate in construction on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and occasionally on Fridays, on sites such as the Clayborne Avenue homes in Fairfax County. No construction experience is necessary, we’re here to help! We have a site supervisor on each construction site who will give you instructions and help you get started. Site leaders will always be available to answer any questions and provide you with support throughout the day.
About once or twice a month, we schedule a Community Build Day. This is an opportunity for any individual to volunteer. We fill spots on a first-come, first-served basis. If you would like to be notified about Community Build Day opportunities, please sign up for our construction volunteer opportunity notifications!
Construction Volunteer Policies
- Volunteers ages 16 and older are welcome on our construction sites!
- All volunteers must complete our Volunteer Waiver form. Download the form here.
- Volunteers ages 18 and under must also have a Parent/Guardian signature on their waiver form.
- Community Service hours are available as a Construction Volunteer.
What to Expect as a Construction Volunteer
- Arrive by 8:15 a.m. (Community Build Days typically wrap up around 3:00 p.m.)
- We provide an orientation and safety briefing before volunteers start working.
- Dress for the weather. Dress in layers on cold days. Wear rain gear on wet days. Wear long, but cool, pants/shirts on hot days, and don’t forget the sunscreen!
- You may work alongside a Habitat NOVA partner family.
- Habitat NOVA provides safety gear, building materials, tools and supervision.
- We provide water.
- Please view a brief safety video prior to the Volunteer Build Day.
- We will build rain or shine. A build day will only be cancelled if the weather conditions or home build site are unsafe for volunteers and staff.
Volunteering as a Group
Community, faith, corporate, service and other groups, as well as individuals, can sponsor a build day and volunteer with groups of 10 to 20 people.
Faith and community groups, please email Cassidy Weitman, Programs Coordinator:
Corporate and civic groups, please email Heather Phibbs, Director of Development:
Women Build Week
Women Build is a Habitat for Humanity program which encourages women to volunteer on their local affiliate’s construction sites! The event is typically held the week leading up to Mother’s Day. These dates are significant to many volunteers, as families with children make up a staggering number of those in need of adequate housing. Habitat NOVA held two volunteer construction days during National Women Build Week. Click here for more information.